The idea of disappearing from the world for a while to get away from all the hustle of modern life is certainly satisfying. However, one of the trickiest aspects of going off-grid is to find a reliable, consistent source of power to juice up your stuff while you cut ties with traditional networks.
Fortunately, you can trust solar generators for a steady flow of clean and renewable energy to keep your gadgets and appliances powered up. These portable devices are quite durable and powerful and often come with impressive features to get you through the worst of weather conditions.
If you are new to this topic and are overwhelmed by the sheer number of options, this guide will cover some tried and tested solar generators, with stellar features, and performance. It should set the stage for all your solar generator, and off-grid living needs.
Table of Contents
- 7 Best Solar Generators for Off-Grid Living in 2022
- 1. Jackery Solar Generator 1000 – Best Overall
- 2. Jackery Solar Generator 240 – Best Value For Money
- 3. Anker Portable Power Station – Best Portability
- 4. EF Ecoflow Portable Power Station Delta – Best Versatility
- 5. Goalzero Yeti 3000X Portable Power Station – Best Charging Speed
- 6. BLUETTI Portable Power Station – Best Power
- 7. Westinghouse iGen 600s Portable Power Station – Best Design
- Advantages of Solar Generators
- Factors to Consider Before Buying Solar Generators
- Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. How to calculate the Watts required when buying a solar generator?
- 2. What camping gear can be powered using a solar generator?
- 3. Can you power appliances in an RV with a solar generator?
- 4. Does a portable solar generator include solar panels?
- 5. Can you run large appliances with a solar generator?
7 Best Solar Generators for Off-Grid Living in 2022
We have researched and listed some of the best solar generators for off-grid living you can choose from.
There is no one-size-fits-all, so make sure to go through the features, and intricacies of each one, before selecting the one that best suits your requirements.
1. Jackery Solar Generator 1000 – Best Overall
- SUPREME SOLAR POWER: This Solar Generator 1000 set features the a Explorer 1000, pairing with 2 SolarSaga 100 solar panels. Unlock the true solar power, and experience the energy from mother nature while at your road trip, camping trip, RV, and over-landing.
- PEACEFULLY QUIET, CLEAN AND CONVENIENT: Unlike gas generators, the Solar Generator is clean. The Solar Generator produces almost no noise, and it features an on-button design for easy use. It is powered by solar energy, providing a green and sustainable solution for our living condition.
- BOUNDLES CAPACITY & & EUDURANCE: The Explorer 1000 is geared with a massive 1002 Wh capacity and 1000 high running wattage to power your full-size refrigerator, TV, heater, electric grill, blanket, and more for your outdoor and home needs.
- INSTANT POWER AND VERSATILITY: The Explorer 1000 features 3 standard pure sine wave AC outlets, which will provide extra capacity to protect, and power more AC devices and appliances. Extra bonus for the built - unlike most other portable generators, this supports pass-through charging while its battery life is protected.
- WAHT'S INCLUDED: 1* Jackery Explorer 1000 Portable Power Station, 2*SolarSaga 100W, 2 year warranty, 1*AC Adapter, 1* Car Charger Cable, 1*SolarSaga Parallel Adapter, 2* user manual.
Jackery is a reliable brand known for its efficient and affordable range of solar generators. This self-powered solar generator is perfect for anybody looking for a portable, off-grid source of power.
It delivers 1000W of power for charging phones, laptops, and other devices and appliances. It features two USB ports and an AC outlet.
The generator itself is quite lightweight and portable and it comes with two solar panels. It packs a massive capacity to power your heater, TV, refrigerator, grill, and other appliances for your outdoor needs.
It is also a clean and quiet generator for a sustainable solution for off-grid living conditions.
- High energy efficiency
- USB connection for quick charging
- Lightweight and portable
- Rugged and durable design
- Includes solar panels
- High price for value
2. Jackery Solar Generator 240 – Best Value For Money
- GREEN POWER SUPPLY: The power station can be recharged by the Jackery SolarSaga 60 solar panel. Its built-in MPPT controller enables the solar panel to operate at its max power point for the power station to be recharged at its highest efficiency. TWO alternative ways to recharge: through the wall outlet or the car outlet.
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: The Jackery Explorer 240 portable power station has been featured as the "Best Portable Power Station for use in the outdoors" by Digital Trends. A classic choice for your pick.
- EASY TO CARRY: This entry-level portable power station is equipped with a 240Wh lithium-ion battery pack, weighing only at 6.6 pounds. The solid handle makes it easy to carry around for outdoor adventures such as Tent Camping, Road Trip, Backyard Camping, etc.
- VERSATILE POWER SOURCE: 1* Pure Sine Wave AC outlet (110V 200W 400W Peak), 2* USB-A ports (5V, 2.4A), and 1* 12V DC car port to charge your road trip essentials such as smartphones, laptops, cameras, fans, lights and so on. Pass-through charging is supported.
- WHAT YOU GET: 1* Jackery Explorer 240 Portable Power Station, 1* SolarSaga 60 Solar Panel, 1*AC adapter, 1* car charger cable, 1* user guide.
An excellent choice for those with moderate power requirements for off-grid living, the portable solar generator can be quickly carried to the outdoors for powering up your devices.
It holds up to 240W of power which is sufficient for charging laptops, smartphones, and other small gadgets. With two USB ports, you can charge multiple devices at once.
What makes this generator perfect for off-grid living is its lightweight and portable design. It packs a Li-ion battery that weighs only 6.5 lbs.
It also comes with an ergonomic handle that makes it easy to carry around. It can be recharged with the solar panel and even with a car or wall outlet.
- Portable and lightweight
- Built-in MPPT controller
- Charging and recharging at the same time
- Overcurrent protection
- Affordable price
- Output wattage can be unstable at times
- Cannot charge devices above 200W
3. Anker Portable Power Station – Best Portability
- Big Capacity: The 388Wh capacity provides multiple charges to virtually any mobile device. Charge an iPhone 11 (3,110mAh)23 times, a MacBook Air 2020 (60Wh) 5 times, an iPad Air (30Wh) 11 times, or a camera more than 20 times.
- Charge 8 Devices Simultaneously: With a 300W AC outlet, 60W USB-C port, 3 USB-A ports, a car socket, and 2 DC ports, PowerHouse gives you the ports you need to charge all of your devices at the same time.
- High-Speed Charging: PowerHouse’s 60W PowerIQ 3.0 USB-C port can charge a MacBook Air 2020 to 50% in just over 40 minutes—that’s 40% faster than with an original MacBook charger.
- Stable Power Supply: The built-in AC wall outlet uses a pure sine wave inverter to ensure the power output is just as good as what you get at home. Reduces audible and electrical noise in fans, lights, speakers, TVs, and other sensitive appliances.
- What You Get: PowerHouse II 400 portable power station, 65W Adapter, USB-A to USB-C Cable, USB-C to USB-C Cable, Car Port to DC Cable, welcome guide, our worry-free 18-month warranty, and friendly customer service.
One of the most advanced solar generators for off-grid living, this portable power station from Anker provides a 388Wh capacity to facilitate multiple charges to mobile devices and laptops. It comes with a number of ports including a fast-charging USB to power up to 8 gadgets at once.
The solar generator is highly portable and easy to carry around. It has a durable, rugged construction to withstand the wear and tear from outdoor use and weather elements. It even has a big LED display that allows keeping track of key details about your usage.
- High-speed recharging
- Built-in flashlight
- Advanced charging
- Multiple output ports
- Lightweight and compact
- Poor customer service
4. EF Ecoflow Portable Power Station Delta – Best Versatility
- 【Multiple Charging Outputs Provide More Options】DELTA features 6* AC outlet (100V-120V 1800W 3300W Peak), 2*USB-C port, 2* USB-A ports, 2*USB-A fast charge and 1* standard DC 13.6V port , power your smartphone, laptop, camera, drones, in-car appliances, CPAP machine, refrigerator, blender and more at anytime without worry.
- 【Triple Rechargeable Modes Efficient Solar Generator】EcoFlow power station is equipped with a lithium battery pack, it can be charged by the 10-65V solar panel (not included), AC wall adapter and car charger efficiently. We do not recommend using third-party solar panels.(If you must use it and need a DIY wiring, kindly please refer to the product description for the correct method)
- 【Recharge From 0% TO 80% Within 1 Hour】EFDELTA can be recharged from 0% to 80% in 1 hour and to 100% in 2 hours. X-STREAM TECHNOLOGY: ECOFLOW patented X-Stream Technology empowers EFDELTA recharged at 10 times the speed of most portable power stations in the market with just a standard AC cable. (NO HEAVY, BULKY ADAPTOR or BRICK).
- 【High Performance and Handy Power Source】DELTA is a portable power station with 1260Wh,which to meet different kinds of electricity demands outdoor usage for home, travel, camping, backseat on long road trips.
- 【Product Guarantee & What You Can Get】 EcoFlow provides our dear customers with Guarantee of 24 months from the date of purchase and friendly customer service. WHAT YOU GET: 1 EFDELTA 1260Wh portable power station, 3 types of charging cable (1*AC plug, 1*Car Charge Cable, 1*Solar to XT60 Solar Panel Cable), 1*EFDELTA Bag , 1*User Guide.
This is a versatile and efficient solar generator that packs a lot of capacity to power all your devices and appliances at once during your off-grid living.
It features six AC outlets and multiple USB ports to charge laptops, cameras, smartphones, refrigerators, and other gadgets without any hassle.
The lithium-ion battery pack can be charged by a solar panel, car charger, or AC wall adapter. With a built-in MPPT algorithm, the power station achieves a full charge in just a few hours.
Moreover, it is extremely lightweight and compact and can be carried to outdoor sites easily.
- Multiple outputs
- Fast recharging
- Triple rechargeable modes
- Handy and portable
- Quiet and clean
- Huge power generation
- Can be unreliable at times
- Quite expensive
5. Goalzero Yeti 3000X Portable Power Station – Best Charging Speed
- PORTABLE POWER STATION: Power your life at home, at work, and on the road with 3,032 Watt Hours. Seven versatile port options allow you to run everything from power tools and refrigerators to electric bikes and wood-fired grills
- EXPERIENCE BACKUP POWER LIKE NEVER BEFORE: Increased 2000W AC (3500W Surge) inverter allows you to brew coffee, use your portable fridge, and power phones and tablets to stay connected. Our new industry-leading inverter handles surges from power tools, medical devices, and even full-size refrigerators
- EASY TO USE: Power a wide range of devices with seven different port options including fast-charging 60W USB-C Power Delivery, multiple USB-A ports, regulated 12V, and two 120V AC ports.
- THREE WAYS TO CHARGE: Plug the Yeti 1500X into any 230-watt wall outlet to charge in 14 hours or any 600-watt wall outlet in six hours. You can recharge it from your car with the 12-volt adapter, or add a Goal Zero solar panel (sold separately) for faster charging.
- POWER IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND: Monitor, control, and optimize your power usage from anywhere with the Yeti App 3.0. Features remote control of power in/out, real-time power consumption notifications, and charging profiles to optimize your battery life.
This portable solar generator boasts a high conversion rate which ensures you can charge your devices efficiently and quickly.
With seven different port options including a fast-charging USB, it allows for powering a number of appliances and gadgets at once. You can use it to charge your refrigerators, wood-fired grills, and electric bikes.
Goalzero is one of the most portable and versatile units on this list as it comes with two wheels that let you move it around your campsite without any hassle.
It generates 3000W of power and has an industry-leading inverter that handles surges from appliances. One of the best things about this generator is the ability to monitor and control power usage from a mobile app.
- Durable construction for weather resistance
- Compatibility with a variety of devices
- Lightweight and easy to transport
- Efficient and value for money
- Mobile app support
- On the pricier side
6. BLUETTI Portable Power Station – Best Power
- [Power Monster] - With the remarkable 2000Wh of capacity and a strong 2000W inverter, this AC200P power station can power 99% of home devices, giving you confidence in any emergency.
- [3500+ Life Cycles to 80%] - The ultra-safe LiFePO4 battery cells and premium BMS tech offer multiple protections to your AC200P, making it a reliable power backup that can last longer than a decade.
- [Efficient Recharging Rate] - AC200P supports up to 700W solar and 500W AC input, allowing you to fully recharge it in 2.5 hours by solar+AC or dual AC charging.
- [17 Versatile Outlets] - 6 AC ports, standard USB-A/Type-C/Car port plus 2 wireless charging pads always can service your various needs, while a 12V/25A DC port will power your DIY work.
- [What You Get] - BLUETTI AC200P portable power station, AC adapter, solar/car charging cable, XT90-aviation cable, user manual, 24-month warranty, and friendly local customer service.
The perfect choice for those who are looking for a solar generator that can power almost anything, this 2000-watt power station can run a host of devices without any limitation. It is a well-constructed unit featuring a strong and durable steel body with a bracket you can use to stand it up.
The AC200P generator supports AC and solar input and can recharge completely in about 2.5 hours.
It also offers amazing versatility with six AC ports and a number of USB ports that let you charge multiple devices at once. It can power almost all the appliances under 2000W to keep you self-sufficient during off-grid living.
- Quick charging
- Powers 17 devices at a time
- Voltage protections
- Cooling fan
- Efficient recharging
- Hefty and less portable
7. Westinghouse iGen 600s Portable Power Station – Best Design
- 600 Rated Watts and 1200 Peak Watts – Sturdy and Compact Portable Power Station Ideal for Outdoor or Home Use; Powered by Lithium-Ion Batteries; Four Charging Methods With Included Wall Charger, Car Charger, Optional Solar Panel (with 8mm 12V DC Port), and Portable Generator
- Versatile and Efficient – Two 120V Household Outlets, One 12V 8mm DC Port, Four USB Ports including QualComm Quick Charge 3.0 Port and a USB-C Outlet Makes This Perfect for Charging Small Sensitive Electronic Devices From Laptops, Tablets, and Smartphones to GoPros, Drones, Cameras, Lights, Speakers, or Headlamps
- Adventure Ready – Lightweight Portability at 11 lb. With a Built-In Carrying Handle and LED Display With Flashlight and Reading Lamp; Ultra Compact and Easily Tucks Into a Bag or Vehicle Storage Compartment
- Worry-Free Dependability – Specially Designed Without an Engine Which Means No Maintenance, No Fuel, and No Noise for Completely Silent Operation; Avoids Obnoxious Fumes With Gas-Free Use; Short Circuit Protection, Overload Protection With Overheat Protection for Battery and Connected Devices
Designed to be feather-light at just 11 pounds, this compact, sturdy, hand-held solar generator is a great companion for outdoor trips where you need to keep your devices charged and ready for action. It is a versatile power station that provides 592Wh of power to address your off-grid needs.
Featuring a convenient carry handle and a lightweight Lithium-ion battery, this model is an excellent choice for off-gridders and campers.
It can keep all your lights, coolers, smartphones, laptops, and drones powered up with multiple USB ports while being quiet and environment-friendly.
- Sturdy and durable construction
- Hand-held design
- Short-circuit protection
- Four charging methods
- Lightweight and compact
- A little on the expensive side
Advantages of Solar Generators
A solar-powered generator is an excellent way to get consistent energy if you want to work off-grid, or need a reliable source of electricity for an outdoor trip.
These generators run on sunlight, so they are efficient and environment-friendly. They are also designed to be portable and easy to carry around.
Below are some of the most important advantages of using solar generators for off-grid living.
Solar panels allow using free, unlimited energy from the sun to generate electricity with a solar generator. Though it requires an initial investment, these devices prove to be quite cost-effective over time.
Solar energy is also not subject to price fluctuations like other fuels, so once you have your equipment, your cost remains steady.
Moreover, solar energy is readily available as compared to diesel or gasoline, so there is no chance of running out of fuel as long as the sun shines above you.
2. Renewable Energy
Solar generators rely completely on a clean and renewable source of energy. This means you don’t need to worry about the impact on the environment like with other fuels.
Also, they don’t emit any pollutants or make noise, so you can relax knowing that your off-grid living is powered by clean energy.
3. Low Maintenance
Unlike gas and diesel-powered generators, these devices don’t have moving parts. This not just minimizes the amount of noise they make but also reduces the chances of breaking.
Solar generators require quite less maintenance and repair, reducing their running costs to a great extent.
4. No Fumes
The fumes and gases released by conventional fuel-powered generators pose a serious health hazard. Solar-powered generators don’t release any fumes which makes them a safer option for indoor and outdoor use.
Factors to Consider Before Buying Solar Generators
A portable solar power station can prove to be invaluable when you are spending some time off-grid or enjoying an adventure outdoors. They supply clean and reliable energy for your gadgets without producing any harmful elements.
However, there are some factors you should take into consideration when buying a new solar generator, particularly when you are looking to reduce your dependence on the grid. Here are a few things you should consider.
1. Energy Requirements
The top consideration for a solar generator should be the amount of energy you require. If you plan on using it outdoors, you need to calculate how much power your devices and appliances use and then compare it to the capacity of different models to find the best match.
A portable solar generator stores energy captured from a solar panel in a battery and later uses it to power your devices. The battery capacity in Watt Hours decides how powerful the model is.
If you want to run appliances that require higher power, you may need a bigger battery capacity while a small battery is sufficient to power cell phones and cameras.
3. Continuous Watts & Surge Watts
These are the most significant ratings for solar power stations. Continuous watts are the amount of power a generator produces.
See that you add the number of watts per hour required by your devices and multiply it by the number of hours you want to run them to find out how much power you want the generator to produce.
The surge watt rating suggests how well the unit can handle the initial power required to start appliances. This is an important consideration that depends on the appliances you plan to run on the generator.
4. Charge Controllers
These accessories protect the generator’s battery from overcharging and regulate the flow.
Most models use 3-stage charge controllers or MPPT (maximum power point tracking) controllers to avoid damage to the battery from overcharging.
Solar generators come in a variety of designs and weigh in the range of 20 to 200 pounds. The weight of the unit is an important consideration for off-grid living as you need a portable generator that is easy to carry around.
6. Display Screen
Most solar generators today come with an LED screen display to keep you updated about whatever is happening.
With a display, you can know how much electricity the generator gets and stores and the status of the battery.
7. Charging Time
You must pay attention to the time the battery takes to achieve a full charge. It depends on the battery size and solar panel. There are models that can be charged using an AC outlet in the absence of sunlight.
8. Extra Features
You certainly want to get a solar generator that comes with useful features along with portability and capacity.
See that the model you choose has features like power expandability, panels with handles, integrated USB ports, backlit panels, multiple AC outlets, replaceable batteries, and others to add to your convenience.
You can find a wide range of solar generators in the market in different price groups depending on their features and capabilities.
Decent generators are available in the range of $200 to $1000 though they may not include solar panels. Premium models can cost as high as $2000 but boast impressive power capacity.
It is advisable to check the benefits you get from the product warranty. The more reputed the brand, the better perks you are likely to receive for support.
Some of the top options include replacement parts and better warranty coverage. See that you choose a model that has a good warranty period.
Frequently Asked Questions
Now that we have discussed everything about solar generators for off-grid living, you might have some questions about these devices and their uses. Let us answer a few interesting questions you may want to know.
1. How to calculate the Watts required when buying a solar generator?
Before you decide on the solar generator model for purchase, it is advisable to check what and how many appliances require energy from it. Add the power rating of all your gadgets and appliances like your fan, smartphone, tablet, fridge, laptop, camera, drone, and anything else you want to power up.
Most devices used during off-grid living or outdoor camping have low power consumption, so a portable solar generator with a decent wattage should do the job.
2. What camping gear can be powered using a solar generator?
Solar generators can power up almost any appliance used for camping and off-grid living. The most common gadgets you can power through a generator are flashlights, electric stoves, cooler, coffee machines, mini fans, and others.
3. Can you power appliances in an RV with a solar generator?
Yes, a powerful solar generator should help you power up appliances and devices in an RV when you are living off-grid.
You can power a fridge, TV, blender, fan, music system, stove, and other appliances in an RV with the help of a solar generator.
4. Does a portable solar generator include solar panels?
Not all solar generators come with solar panels included. You must check whether the model includes a solar panel or not before buying it.
If it does not, see if the power station works with proprietary panels or can be connected to solar panels from other brands.
5. Can you run large appliances with a solar generator?
A powerful solar-powered generator can be used to run appliances like TV and fridge. However, they will only run for a few hours, so you should ensure you keep the unit charged properly. If you want to operate bigger appliances, you would need about 2000 W capacity in your power station.
Solar generators are growing in popularity as people look for convenient ways to have a reliable flow of electricity off the grid during outdoor and camping trips.
These best solar generators for off-grid living offer clean energy, low maintenance, sustainability, and portability among other benefits, making them a worthy investment.
However, there are so many options available in the market that it can be confusing to select the best one for purchase. This is why we have created this guide to choosing your solar generator for off-grid living.
Make sure you analyze and compare the features of different models and pick the one that addresses your needs the best.
Last update on 2022-07-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API